Thursday, May 12, 2005

Well, I have air conditioning now! Whoopee!

I HAD to bring ROOTS to Honda and read it whilst I was waiting for my van to get fixed. And I just HAD to be on the last 15 pages, where it all ties together with the authour becoming part of this long saga of this amazing African American family, finding documents that told him all the stories he had heard from his ancestors were true. It was unbelievable. And of course, being me, I am sitting there in the waiting area BAWLING MY FOOL HEAD OFF.

When he goes back to Africa to the village of Kunta Kinte and the people rush to meet him because he is 'one of them' (I am crying AGAIN writing this) I let out this choked sob in Honda and there were some ladies talking by the service desk and they looked over at me.

I held up the book. "Sorry, I am just finish-sh-ing this b-book and i-it's making me cuh-cry."

They were like "Awwww!" and one of them brought me over a box of kleenex. I promptly shredded three of those kleenex over my eyes and nose. And kept reading, right to the end, having to push out my bottom lip to blow cool air upwards towards me eyes so I could still see the words.

CAN I SAY ONE MORE TIME. I LOVED THIS BOOK.

Geez, sometimes I wear myself out with myself.

ROOTS! ROCKS!

I'm done now.

A.

2 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

yousah QT - imagining this situation, I somehow can soooo see you and it's quite heart warming when a story can touch someone so much

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

SHIT - I just was commin' back here to tag you! humpht -she beat me to it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home