Thursday, May 05, 2005

A la Kristine, I did something today that I had been thinking of doing for a while.

There is a little girl that Monty goes to school with, her name is Sadie (same as my niece!). For a while now I have seen her and her mom and usually her baby brother walking to school. I pretty much drive Monty to school everyday at 12:45, as it is like a twenty minute walk and um, I am usually not in the mood to walk with both kids all the way there and then back home. (okay, i am a bit lazy.)

But Sadie and her mom and brother used to live across the street from the school. Now they live even farther than I do. And they have no vehicle. So today I passed them again, and I saw Sadie exploring someone's front lawn, and her mom pulling the wagon and pulling her by the hand to come on. And I know exactly how that feels.

I didn't get my license till 29. And I took the bus and walked everywhere with Sam in tow. And I always swore that one day when I had a car I would give people like me a ride whenever I could.

So when we got to school, I went up to Sadie's mom. I said, hey, I have seen you guys walking to school. It must take forever sometimes, eh?

And she said, Yeah. It does sometimes. And she shrugged her shoulders. It's not bad when I don't have to bring the baby too. His grampa came and got him today.

Well, I said. I don't live far from you. Why don't I pick Sadie up and bring her with us?

She said, Wow, yeah, that would be awesome.

I said, Do you want to call me or should I just come tomorrow around 12:30?

She said, We don't have a phone for a little while. So if you could come that would be great.

I said, Cool. I'll be there tomorrow.

So Easy. I mean, sure I will have to leave like six minutes earlier. Sure I will have to get Sadie and Monty and Lucy out of the car and take them down the hill to where the kindergarten class is. But so what? It's an eensy bit harder for me, where she was walking for probably 45 minutes everyday, rain or shine.

Thanks, Kristine.

A.

13 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Christy said...

One really cold windchilly wintry day, I was walking Cole to preschool and we were barely a block from home. He was having a mjor meltdown because he didn't want to walk...literally laying on the sidewalk screaming at me. One of the Moms on her way to Cole's preschool, as she does everyday, drove right past me and looked away when she caught my eye. It would have taken 30 seconds to let us get in her van to go where she is already headed, but it would have saved me 20 minutes of walking and dealing with a 4 year old's freakishness.

As a Mom who has a car irregularly, my heart was warmed by your generous gift. We Moms are so isolated, and yours is a precious gift.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're awesome, Amy!

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(from mrtl)

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great feeling, helping someone in a big or small way.

Good for you!

Pam

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

what a good story amy, so even though you shouldn't sweat the small stuff, it is still important to notice them as well...

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Bente said...

That was such a special thing for you to do. I bet it will make such a difference to Sadie and her mom.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

Ask Shaun...i'm crying.

That is SO sweet. I love your heart!

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Amy! One small act of kindness can go such a long way!
Ang

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was breastfeeding my third baby, who was about six months old at the time, the hospital nursery nurse called and asked if I was still nursing.
The reply was yes, so she went on and asked if I could come to the hospital about once a week and pump a little extra for a preemie baby who could only take mother's milk.
I said I couldn't because I didn't have a car during the day when Husband was at work.
When the minister's wife heard about that, she not only drove me twice a week to the hospital, she babysat the pre-schooler and the toddler in the waiting room while I went off for a half hour and used a pump. (the only time in my life because I was a stay-at-home mom until youngest began Kindergarten).
That "little baby's" name is in yesterday's paper because he earned a scholarship to college.
You may never know the full benefits of such a simple deed as carpool for a schoolkid.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

Kind lady! What a sweet thing to do. I know that woman thinks you hung the moon right now.Good job.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger The Merry Widow said...

I love people like you!!! We need more!

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There needs to be more people in the world like you and Kristine. If everyone that reads both of you did one thing...however small, what a difference we would make. I, for one, and simply going to be more observant. Sometimes just a smile is enough to warm anothers day.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Closet Metro said...

Bless you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home