Friday, October 28, 2005

Whirling Dervish

I am having a party of sorts tonight. It's kind of a sale party. I have bought lots of different items on ebay, from cosmetics to Victoria's Secret bras, to gifty things to jewelry. And I am going to turn my living room and dining room into a garage sale.

I have never done anything like this before. But I always wanted to. In many ways, I hate 'home parties' which are not really 'parties' at all but just tense tittering guilt trips where everyone feels obligated to spend thirty-two dollars on a plastic container they coulda got at WalMart for three bucks, just to buy something. I have sat in a friend's living room and watched her AND her sisters each spend 50 dollars on Satin Hands 'systems', knowing that they have no money for it.

So my 'party' will be different. Stuff is priced from fifty cents up. Everyone gets something for free just for coming. And I have a bunch of little prizes to give away.

Who knows how this will turn out? I got the music mixed, the veggies and dip made. I have put little price stickers on hundreds of items. I have invited 30 ladies, friends, family, and otherwise.

Now all I have to do is turn my house into a little store.

I was on the dining room floor yesterday, wrapping up these candle holder thingys and putting ribbons around them. My husband came up and just looked at me. He smiled. "You always got somethin' goin on, Aim."

I said, "Yup." And kept wrapping. "Hey! I need you to help me carry the TV downstairs so I can use the entertainment centre to put stuff on."

There is something about carrying something heavy together that makes me feel good.

So wish me luck!

A.

12 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger LadyBug said...

That last part, about carrying something heavy together making you feel good? Really made me smile. I never thought about carrying stuff together being very romantic, but now that I think about it, I guess it is kind of a metaphor for all of life's burdens that you carry together as a couple. So it's very sweet.

And your party sounds like so much fun! What a neat idea. Be sure and let us know how it turns out, k?

Love and hugs to you.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Vajana said...

i agree with ladybug, that was sweet.

Your party sounds like a blast! I wish I could go to one!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger hemlock said...

Yep...carrying something heavy together just makes me feel good too.

It's nice to know that our guys don't need to call their buddies to help either!

Have a great party.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Heather said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Hey Amy..

I'm sad that I'm not going to be able to make it to the party tonight. Tracy has been telling me about some of the stuff you are going to have there and I wish I could be there! Unfortunately, I have my sister's baby shower this weekend at an out of town locale but I'll be looking to hear all about it! Have fun tonight and thanks for the invite..:) We'll have to do a dinner get together at Limoncello very soon!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Man I wish I lived closer to you (oh and I wish you would invite me if I lived closer to you!). Your party really sounds cool.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang....I could really use some stuff! they do the yard-sale-in the-apartment-thing at Riley Towers. very cool indeed. I got some awesome non-stick cookware, a tv antenna and martini glasses for totally cheap from some chick on the 12th floor. Got a fan from some dude on the 8th floor.

I like your idea better, though...your peeps get first pick :) and prizes, too...very thoughtful! good luck!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Everything ladybug said. I hope it was a huge success. Sounds like a great idea. I hate to have/go to those other kind of "buy overpriced stuff" parties.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Morris said...

Are you going to be modeling any of the stuff from Victoria's Secret?

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Rally said...

That may just be the greatest idea I have ever heard. I tend to simply have the long poker nights, and it goes on and on....but that idea is AWESOME. Not only do you get rid of stuff, you create conversation at the whole notion of someone wanting your garbage. The other great part is everyone can mock the "crap" you bought, and are trying to pawn off on them. I think this could end up in a 6 hour gigglefest! Just add liquor and you have an all out laughing fit that could go on and become the stories you tell people for years.

I am going to run one of these types of parties. Thank you so much!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger kalki said...

You just might be the neatest person I know.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

very sweet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home