Thursday, March 24, 2005

RedHill Road

Once in a while if you are lucky, you get to step out of your life for an evening. It could be a great movie that scoops you up and into the story. It could be a social event where you meet new people and talk and laugh and feel alive and even interesting. It could be an event that opens your heart to bigger possibilities, like the time I stood in the zamboni entrance at Copps Coliseum when I was 22 and listened to a lone bagpipe player play 'Amazing Grace' slowly and so sadly, and ten thousand people were also listening and I don't know if it was the sound of the listening or the sound of the bagpipes but there was this reverence in the room, this ache and endearment that made me cry.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Last night I got to 'step out'. I went to a CD release party for my cousin Rory's band, Redhill Road, at Hughes Room in Toronto. It was great.

Hughes Room is this cool place with great food and we had a big table with a perfect view of the band. They play kinda bluegrassy acoustic country-ish stuff. Great originals. Awesome harmonies. Three guitars, a bass and a drummer, and they all sing. Charly Chiarelli was there, and he got up and played harmonica for a few songs.

Did I say great originals? They were the kind that make you nod in agreement, make you wistful and even teary and just glad you were there. It is a great thing when people listen together, and the music is like threads that run between you.

If you want to check out the band, you can check them out at

www.redhillroad.com

Have a good Tersday.
A.

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. You've been tagged. Check my blog for the questions. Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home