Monday, August 08, 2005

Elect My Elective!

Okay. I have been going part time to university for lo these many years. And I am one and a half credits away. I am going to take a course in the fall, and the lovely thing is that I need a whole elective credit or two half credits. So I can take whateva I want!

Here are the ones that I like which are available at night classes this September. All of them are ones I am interested in taking.

1. MUSIC FOR FILM AND TELEVISION An examination of how music functions to help create meanings in film and television programs. Examples will be drawn from throughout the history of film and television.

Me: Sounds like fun, and I prolly get to watch movies.

2. WOMEN IN CANADA AND THE U.S. TO 1920 This course examines key areas of women's history, such as indigenous cultures, slavery, immigration, religion, witchcraft, the family, sexuality, paid and unpaid labour, and the first wave of the women's movement.

Me: Interesting....

3. SLAVERY IN THE ATLANTIC WORLD An examination of slavery in the Americas, from the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries. Topics to be examined include plantations and labour regimes; gender, slave health; slave resistance; Afro-creole cultures; emancipation.

Me: This is the one that is kinda calling me. If you have been reading this blog for a while, you may remember my love affair with Roots and Kunta Kinte. This topic is of real interest to me.

4. EUROPE IN THE MIDDLE AGES The history of Western Europe, 400-1400: from the barbarian kingdoms to the emergence of national monarchies.

Me: LOVE European history. This course is actually the only full credit course I am considering, so it would go from Sept to April. Hmm.

5. SOCIAL ASPECTS OF REPRODUCTION An interdisciplinary course exploring birth and reproduction. Topics may include: social determinants of reproductive health, fertility and birthing rituals, reproductive ethics, policy and technologies.

Me: Very interesting subject. Plus I have explored this topic three times personally and that might give me an edge. Or maybe not. Hmmm.

So my question to you is, Which course would YOU take? Or would you not take any of these?
I look forward to your responses on this.


A.

14 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

which one do you think will possibly change your perspective more? which will expose you to new ideas and concepts the most?

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amy
They actually all sound pretty good but I like the last one and if it was me that would probably be the one I would be the most interested in. And by the way I really admire you for being able to look after 3 little ones and still have time to go for those credits. I just don't think I would have it in me anymore to do that(go back to university that is).

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the reproductive one, but I'd be afraid they'd talk about abortion and I'd get all pissy. I also would like the music in movies and TV one. I took a film class in college and it was pretty cool, except for my liberal gay rights activist anti-Christian instructor. He sucked.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Bente said...

I'd probably take the movie music one, but I'm not a big history fan sooo.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Leska McCall said...

I think I would go for the slavery one. It sounds so interesting, and outside of the normal day-to-day.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading course descriptions! Such possibility! Fun fun fun.

I would prolly choose #1 which makes me sound shallow but I'm really not. Well I am but not TOO much. I just find film studies fascinating and I wasn't able to take many of those classes in college. #2 would be my, well, #2. And then #5.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, all over the slavery one. With a Jamaican daddy? Hey, it's in me blood to care passionately about that topic. Ultimately, since you hafta do the work, and you already have a lot of that to do anyways, I'd pick the one that calls your name the most!
Ang

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Slavery in the Atlantic World. That would be my elective of choice...For me to discipline myself to take classes over and above my daily crap...it's gotta be what I love!!!!!
Good luck in your choosing and KUDOS Amy on being determined to getting it done!
You are an inspiration to women everywhere!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger harvestfound said...

being your sister and knowing you like i do i would say take the atlantic slavery course because
a) it's unlike anything you've ever taken before
b)you are interested in it which means you will probably enjoy it even if you weren't getting credit
--that being said, i agree with annejelynn's comment- great advice.
jen

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger The Q said...

Since you expess such a heartfelt interest, I'd have to say the Slavery in the Atlantic World. But if you want to possibly see what else might be of great interest to you, should you know more about it, then I'd pick the one you know the least about.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Christy said...

I am am a classic movie and cinema freak so I would take that or the Reproduction class.

Seriously...stay AWAY from the history course unless you want to learn 50 to 75 new names and dates per class. I have the memory of a wizard, but got 50.1% on my university history final. It's just obscene what they expect you to remember.

Of course now that I have had children, I would fail that course as my memory is mush.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

well.... i would take number one mostly because when I am thinking about a movie and how it will be I always wonder what song they will have to go along with the movie to add greater meaning and if it is good i add it to my soundtrack of life...but I do follow your blog and the last one does sound right up your alley..

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Anne-J- probably the reproductive one.

Candace- thanks! Last one does seem pretty cool.

Mainline - I don't mind discussions about abortion. I also did a film class two years ago and enjoyed it. So I would probably enjoy this one, too.

Bente- Yeah gimme music over history anyday. Still love Euro stuff though.

Anonymous - Piss Off.

mmc - I KNOW. I think I would love it. Argh!

Jason - music rocks the party.

Kalki - not shallow! If I ain't interested in the course I am taking, I am really bad for doing my homework.

Ang - You are cute. And yeah, it is the one that calls to me. Have you read ROOTS?

Linda - thank you! Your comments are an inspiration themselves!

Jean-Claude- Yeah I would love it. The topics are so interesting too....

Soozie- Good point. But really, I don't know THAT much about slavery, except for Roots and some Fredrick Douglass, I have never read up too much on it.
(Is it obvious I am trying to convince myself to pick that one, lol?)

Mrtl - my heart says Kunta Kinte. My intellect says Euro History. My fun meter says movies. My inner WOMAN says repro or women's history. Argaloo.

Christy - yeah I love me some movies too. But I find that university film classes arent so much about the classics as they are about finding the funkiest, artiest, weirdest movies they can find to talk about. EXCELLENT point about the memory.

Tan - I've had the time of my life getting everyone's opinion on this. And My Heart Will Go On finding the perfect course.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kami said...

#5. That's what I would take.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home