Friday, June 17, 2005

It's Stuff Portrait day!

And I am on le ball. Well, that is not true. I am never on the ball, I am usually trying to find it. But I have some stuffs! This is what we were supposed to do.

Friday, June 17
1. Stuff that makes you wonder "What Was I Thinking?"
2. Stuff you're obligated to keep/display
3. Something you think no one else owns

Stuff you are obligated to keep:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

KIDDING! I would keep em even if they weren't mine.

Okay. So, for the first one, instead of taking a picture of half my wardrobe, I looked around on the main floor for something. I bought this painting about eight years ago.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A friend of mine and her fiance had just closed their really nice restaurant. And when that restaurant had been doing well, he had commissioned an artist to paint seven pictures. And this was one of them. It is called "WinterGarden" and it is by Robert Fennell. The fiance paid about 800 bucks for this picture. I paid him 250. I loved the painting at the time.

Now I am kinda tired of it. Incidentally, a little pro golfer named Tiger Woods supposedly has paintings by Robert Fennell in his house. So he is not nobody.

But I am still tired of this painting. I kind of chose my living room colours around it. And now I would like to change those colours. But what to do with this huge painting? Here is a picture so you get the scope of it's size.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So anyhoo. This is a double stuff portrait. It is a "what was I thinking" and a "obligated to keep". Any advice would be appreciated.

Moving on. This is an object that I am obligated to keep and display. And it's not that I don't love parts of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I looove the cross stitching done by my uncle peter's wife, Kim. It is truly beautiful.
But what's with the hat and gloves and cane motif? Who's puttin on the Ritz? I AM.

NOw. For the third thing. I had misread this all week. I thought it was "something you think noone else KNOWS" not "OWNS". So all week I am soul searching. Trying to think of this deep dark thing that I think noone else knows. And I came up with a few ideas, but NOBODY KNOWS about them as far as I can tell, and I LIKE IT THAT WAY. So I was struggling. Then I thought maybe it was a sign to let go of something that I had been keeping in for too long. Then I thought but I don't need the whole internet to know whatever. Up until this morning I was still going back and forth dans la tete about this.

Then I reread Kristine's list. And it was 'owns'. And the sun came out again.

So! I don't think anyone owns one of these!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's an antique cross stich I bought off ebay. Still haven't found the right frame for it. I love "look pleasant please".

Alright. I better go. Happy Friday!

6 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger c said...

I almost put up a pic of my kids for the obligation part!!

As for the painting, if you love it, keep it. Otherwise, seriously, what's the point? It's taken me a long time to come to the conclusion that life is too short to have stuff around my house that I don't love. And just because I love it now doesn't mean I'll love it in 5 years. Everything (except the husband and the kids) is transitory.

If you love it, might I suggest that when you change the colors of the room, don't match them to the paiting. Try to complement them, but don't match. That way, the painting will stand out on it's own.

And, hey, look pleasant please!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Wowzers, that is a large painting! Makes me kind of wish I had bigger ones. I pale in comparison.

That's some lovely embroidery, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad to replace the "putting on the ritz" mat. That cracked me up!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny - I have a ptg. like that - one I bought and then have to plan the rest of the room around. Why do some of us do things so backwrds!!
Ang

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

Sell you Fennell on eBAY!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the 'know one else knows' paragraph. Your so cute! I agree with Annejelynn, put it on ebay. You might get alot more than you think for it.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger stoni said...

I also have the same cross stich sampler! I've never seen it anywhere before.

Mine is in the original frame.

Let me know if you would like me to post it somewhere for you to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home