Friday, June 17, 2005

Got this from Annejelynn, who got it from Susie
It is really cool to do, takes a bit of time, but really brings out the memories. Good for preventing Alzheimers, for sure.

I AM FROM...

I am from dark, cool cubbyholes, from Crest Toothpaste and Joy 2 dishwashing liquid in the bathtub to make tons of bubbles.

I am from a small house that barely contained us and bigger houses with more room but even as we moved in and unpacked we grew bigger still, from stone fireplaces and pocket doors, from a brand new 7 eleven opening across the street in the open lot where my brother lost his orange skateboard.

I am from the lilac bushes in the corner of our yard, from the basil that grew wild, and you would crush a leaf between your fingers and smell it until you had no breath, until the smell was gone. From the tulips that came up every spring and you would stare into the middle of them, at that black centre, at that yellow dust, and wait for something to happen.

I am from camping in the summer and being told not to touch the sides of the tent or the rain would come in, from funny stories told over and over, from Marie and Charlie, from Florence and David, then from Adrienne and Michael Sloan.

I am from the conflict avoiders and the super-sympathetics.
From “Makes no nevermind to me” and “do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on?”.

I am from First confession, then from first communion (in my sisters dress, and my mom put a new sash on it so it would feel like mine), from “The only reason to miss church on a Sunday is for a funeral and it must be your own”. From parents who didn’t take us to church every Sunday. From calling the PTL long distance at age 9 in California and getting in trouble when the phone bill came in. From praying or at least making the sign of the cross every time I saw a hitchhiker or an ambulance, and from wanting to be a nun until I was fifteen.

I'm from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, from England and Ireland and Alsace Lorraine. From Beef and barley soup and oatmeal in the crock pot.
From the young couple who had four kids in five years with no money, from the mom who went back to college full time and worked on the weekends with four school age kids, from the dad who brought home a Christmas tree even though he had just gotten leg surgery, who took us toboganning and skating and to Drum Corps, and I am only just now beginning to understand that he probably didn’t feel like doing half that stuff, but he did it anyway. From a grandma who could do anything, like sew me a top in ten minutes to wear to mass, or go on TV and teach sewing, or go on a Nora Lam crusade, or raise six kids with an alcoholic husband. From another grandma who loved tea and made the best fresh cut French fries, who taught us manners, who raised seven kids with an alcoholic husband.

I am from yellowing photo albums and pictures that I know my sisters and I will argue about someday, from a quarter cut oak antique china cabinet with a round glass door which we will also argue about. From eggshell thin cups and saucers with family pedigrees, from a painting called “Moving Day for the Marsh Marigolds”, from musty ancient books, from IKEA bunk beds, from Paderno pots and a big red depression glass punch bowl.

Told ya it was cool. Go do it!

5 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger c said...

I love these so much! You're right; once you get going it's really easy.

I could probably write three or four completely different versions and STILL have memories for even more.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Effie said...

I found you through Annejelynn's comments--I enjoyed yours too--it was a personal look--nice! My hubby and I are thinking of purchasing a house in Hamilton too....

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Amy.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger harvestfound said...

love the line from beef and barley soup to oatmeal in the crockpot.
love it all - brought back memories of ashford and mom and dad.
jen

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

I really really love this meme - love it! ya find out so many cool and wonderful things about everyone.

thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home