Friday, October 27, 2006

Oldest and Youngest

Last night, I was puttering around in the kitchen and I could hear sam up in lucy's room talking.
So I went and listened at the door,
Sam was reading her Charlotte's Web. It was so sweet to hear his voice reading the words I had read to him when he was a little guy.

"But it's unfair," cried Fern. "The pig couldn't help being born small, could it? If I had been very small at birth, would you have killed me?"
Mr. Arable smiled. "Certainly not," he said, looking down at his daughter with love. "But this is different. A little girl is one thing, a little runty pig is another."


I looked in, and there they were, snuggled side by side in lucy's bed. Lucy had her favourite blanket and was all hunkered down, sucking her two fingers. Sam looked so big beside her, so cute, with his freckled nose and long black eyelashes.

I left them alone, went back down to the kitchen. Finished my puttering with a big, happy heart.

A.

6 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's so sweet. I think those are the moments that make it all worth it.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger kalki said...

I love this. The stories about your kids always make me think, "Maybe I do want that..."

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! That's terrific! I love love love moments like that!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Effie said...

that makes my heart melt, just a little!

Happy Hallowe'en!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Susie said...

:) Kalki should be very, very careful, coming here. I could just see the picture you painted, and it warms my heart, too.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

man, you're the fourth one to make me cry today - - what a SWEET lil' story ~ what a darling image to hold in mind. Ahhh... EYE love your children!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home