Thursday, December 01, 2005

Quiet Morning, But Not For Long

They actually slept in today.

Jay leaves for work just after seven. And as a rule, all the kids are usually up by six forty five. It's just how it is around here. But today, they slept in! They just woke up, and it is 7:35. Which means I got to get up with Jay and we got to talk and hang out while we made his lunch and stuff. So nice, to make tea with someone, like a little dance choreographed by time and togetherness. It was like a date!

And then I got to sit on the kitchen floor and drink my tea and read the paper ALONE. I do this every morning, but usually I have to get up sixteen times and someone is almost always hanging on my back, looking over my shoulder to see if there are any pictures of toys or kid movies.

The reverie has broken. Sam is on le toilette and Monty is yelling because he has to go pee. And Luca is calling from her crib, "Knock Knock! who da?"

We put up the Christmas tree last night. I could just sit and stare at it for hours. Some of my lights have died, though. Gotta get some new ones. I am all about the twinkling lights. I am hoping that the ornaments stay on the tree this year. Last year Lucy kept taking them off and hiding them in little piles all over the house.

Alright, well, duty calls. Nice talking to ya and all that.

A.

8 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger LadyBug said...

What a nice post. I love staring at the Christmas tree, too. I like to turn off all the lights after the kids go to bed, when it's quiet and peaceful in the house, and just be still in the light of the Christmas tree. It's so peaceful.

(Hey. Just wondering...why do you sit on the floor to drink your tea?)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Effie said...

Do you sit on the floor to read the newspaper so it's easier to read? Then the pages are all flat? That's what I do too...so nice to have a few moments of alone time!

Christmas tree lights always have a certain allure--I could stare at a decorated tree for hours...

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger c said...

That was lovely! I'm glad you had your morning date.

And the lashes on that baby girl! Holy cow!

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious moments such as those are few and far between when little ones are in our lives!
Christmas tree, ahhh I'm so jealous...hopefully the basement wars will be over b4 Christmas and we can have one too..or maybe I could just hang out with you???

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Breakfast dates are so nice and rare. I love when the Natester sleeps in. I especially love it if I have time for a shower before he wakes up.

I'm all about the twinkling lights too. On our tree we have two strings of solid lights and two strings of blinky lights. They come on around 4:30 every evening and man it is beautiful. So far, unbelievably, Nathan hasn't taken anything off the tree.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger kalki said...

"So nice, to make tea with someone, like a little dance choreographed by time and togetherness. It was like a date!"

Just lovely - both the moment and the way you described it.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger harvestfound said...

those few minutes can seem like an hours long date - no talking over little heads...love that you got to read the paper and have tea in peace aim.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Ahhhh. So, so good! Like the rapid-charge for a cell-phone. Nicely written -- I felt the peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home