Monday, November 07, 2005

Hola

Good weekend.

GOT AWAY FOR A NIGHT with some friends. Oh yes, I did. And it was mighty fine. Five of us went to Niagara Falls NY for a night, which is less than an hour away. Shopped. Ate at TGIFridays. Went to Target! And Tops! Laughed our heads off. Shopped. Slept in. Ate at Applebees.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was great. In twenty four hours I don't think I have laughed so much. I did some early Christmas shopping. I got Lucy the BEST coat. I got a skirt at the Old Navy outlet for four bucks, and a cookie sheet, loaf pan AND square baking pan for 11 bucks. Good times!

Jay held down the fort quite nicely whilst I was away. I did not come home to a messy house, which was one of my criteria for getting away well. My only regret is that I brought my camera but took no pictures! Wahh!

Saturday night we had an old friend come by for a visit. We hadn't seen him in about three years, it was great to catch up.

Sun we had church. And someone stole some stuff from our van right outside the church! Jay plays electric guitar in the church band. And after the service, he popped outside and put his guitars in the van. Came back in to help me get the kids from Sunday school. So he left it unlocked for about five minutes. (He insists that he locked it, so let's just say, um, maybe the lock thing on his keys didn't work. Because he LoCKED it, people. ) Anyhoo, it must have been unlocked because there was no other way it could have happened. We were getting the kids in after and I look on the passenger side floor and the floor mat is all yanked up and there are CD cases all over the place. I say, "Man! These KIds!"
Then I see my makeup bag is dumped everywhere. And Jays case/bag thing is on it's side and empty. And I am like, "Uh Oh. We got ripped off!"
First we were freaking out just a tad because Jays empty case thingy meant that his newish mp3 player was gone ($300) along with the accessories and cables ($100) and his philishaver that he keeps in there, too ($150). Which would be just about what we would pay for a deductible if we were to put a claim in. Which we couldn't anyway because Jay had left the car unlocked. (I mean, locked! I swear I locked it! You KNOW me, Aim!)

And there were all the cd's in the bottom drawer thingy gone. And all the spare change was gone.

But then, I started moving the mess around and oh! there was the mp3 player under my seat and the shaver under the car mat and the cords. All they took were about ten cds and about 8 bucks in loose change.

So really, we were happy. And a little stunned that we got off so easy. Jay had both his (expensive) guitars in the back, not taken either. Our church is right downtown. So someone probably was walking by and saw the door unlocked and decided to go for it. But they were obviously so focussed on getting cash (and cd's you can trade in for cash) that they didn't bother with anything else. I feel kinda sorry for that person. How frantic and desperate they must have felt to be scrambling through our car, looking for money. Now, had they taken the expensive stuff, I probably wouldn't be feeling so compassionate.

But it's a good lesson. Because I leave my purse in the car 80 percent of the time. But yesterday I didn't. And from now on I will take it with me.

So tell me,
1. When was your last night out with the girls and where'd you go?
2. What has been stolen from you?

A.

11 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo! A night out! Good for you! I don't remember my last night out with the girls -- unless you count the trip to North Carolina last month.

I'm sorry someone ripped you off, IN A CHURCH PARKING LOT -- that just stinks. See, if all you had were Barry Manilow CDs, this wouldn't happen. ;)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Vajana said...

This happened to my parents too...when they were at church, it was some kids though, so I bet that is who it was...some kids wanting money for video games or something...so glad the guitars were still there!!

1. My last night out with the girls was early October but I had to leave early and apparently all the fun started after that. My luck. We are going on a girls' shopping trip in December to the outlet malls too, I can't wait!

2. I got all my tapes stolen in a bad mishap while on vacation in California, and I also left a bag in my car unlocked for like 2 minutes and it got stolen, there was a cute outfit in there and a birthday present. I also got a lot of PE clothes stolen from me in high school, and this one time the be-yatch had the nerve to wear my shirt to school, but unfortunately I had not the nerve to go yell at her. Dammit.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger The Q said...

I guess the last "girls night" I went on was to Las Vegas, BABEEE! Probably about 8 of us women, shared a HUGE suite (5,000 sq. feet ~ NO that is NOT a typo) and had a blast for a weekend. It was a bachelorette party for my best friend KP.

My car was broken into many, MANY years ago. It actually WAS locked and they pried open the door then popped the trunk. They stole CDs, my emergency car kit in the trunk (WTF??) and that's about it. I didn't care so much that they stole my jumper cables, but more that they went through and touched my stuff. That really creeped me out.

I'm very glad you had a great weekend and that nothing of importance or value (monetarily or sentimentally) was stolen.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger c said...

1. Hmmm...don't know. I go out loads with my friends, so I don't really count that as "getting away".

2. My first digital camera, at the zoo. People suck.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm glad that you had a good weekend, Amy..well, most of it, at least. A girls night out always helps to put things in perspective. For me, my last girls outing would have been Las Vegas this past June. I flew all the way to Vegas to meet up with a good friend of mine that I had met online...and we had a blast!!There was muchos fun and muchos margaritas to be had, Vegas style!

As for the other part with your stuff being taken on Sunday..that really does suck. You just can't help by feel violated when it happens since you know somebody has been in and touching your stuff. The worst one that I can remember happened when I was 16 and still living at home. My ex-boyfriend had come by to talk about getting back together again and then he and one of his idiot friends broke in and robbed us while we slept. Of course we found out who did it. Boys are so dumb sometimes.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger kalki said...

But that doesn't make sense. I mean, someone wouldn't have just walked by and seen that the van was unlocked, because IT WAS LOCKED. ;) Heh heh. Seriously though, that sucks. I don't think I've ever had anything stolen from me.

YAY! You went to TARGET!! Did you think of me? And you are seriously cute in that photo.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Effie said...

THe last thing I can remember having stolen was my heart about 7 years ago...teehee--that's just me bein' mushy.

Really, the last thing I can remember having stolen was our car. In about 2001, my hubby and I were fast asleep and the phone rang, about 12:30am. It was the police saying "We've just recovered your stolen car". I told them they must have the wrong people because our car was out in the parking lot of the apartment building. They then asked when the last time we saw it was. I told them about 8 or so. They recited the licence plate number and the colour drained from my face. So my hubby and I went to the police station until about 2 in the morning. It was a Neon and was apparently easy to break into--the officer demonstrated how easy and that scared me. Ever since then, we've had a "Club" on the car's steering wheel. It was scary!

Other than that, someone steals my red pens from my desk on a daily basis!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Effie said...

A night out with the girls? What's that? Honestly, I can't remember the last time!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

I could write a couple posts about things that have been stolen from me - so that's a couple whole other stories...as for your van experience, you make an excellent point! imagine just how DESPERATE he/she must have been, to pass up all the other stuff in your van - makes me sad. this A.M. while driving w/ my honey-man to pick my step-mum up from her hotel to take her to the airport, we saw a homeless man is such a sorry state, I thought for a second we would both burst into tears right then and there - both of us. Heartbreaking.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Kennis said...

My bike was stolen last Thursday ... which is my main means of transportation around the city..to work, to school, to everywhere...I was really mad. Hopefully the person that stole it really really really needed it. And I am having a night "in" with movies, laughter and cheap wine with some girls this friday. I am so excited that.. well im just excited!
K.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Libraryhill said...

1. Last girls night - too long ago to remember.

2. A disposable camera with Halloween pics of our wee ones that I unfortunately left in the front seat of the car. Those pics were so sentimental!! :( Did I mention it was a DISPOSABLE camera? Geez!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home