Friday, July 15, 2005

Back in Tha Day - 80's SPD

1988. Grad dance. Couldn't get my hair BIG ENOUGH.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"MA! Come on! Where is the Final Net?!"
"Right here! What am I doing with this curling iron?"
"Just pull pieces out and curl them! My hair needs MORE VOLUME!"
"It looks pretty big to me."
"IT'S TOTALLY FLAT!! Keep curling it and pulling it higher!"

Something I kept from the 80's would be this little note, scrawled on the back of an envelope and taped to my sister's dresser mirror. I am not sure what compelled me to keep this, but I am glad I did. It totally brings me back to the chaos of our house, with four teenagers at once. I think I was about sixteen when I wrote this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It reads, "SIOBBHAN, (my sisters name), DON'T YOU EVER WEAR MY LEVI'S AGAIN AND I WANT MY FIVE DOLLARS BACK!"

On the back it says, "DON'T IGNORE THIS NOTE!!"

Ah the sweetness. We were so vicious when clothes were borrowed without asking. Once she threw my desert boots in the pool because I had taken her ALDO boots without asking. Another time I came into the bathrom, and she was bent over the tub, washing her hair with the tube thingy, and I kicked her in the ass right into the tub, because she was wearing my underwear.

Another thing I kept was this flyer from a dance.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I love how even the "compact disc" logo is hand done. That's when CD's were just coming out, mostly everyone still had cassette tapes. I don't even know if I went to this dance, but I went to a few like it that year.

I had to post this next picture. It is me and the gals at our Grade Eight Grad dance, hanging out on a table outside the washroom! Beware, you may go blind from all the ruffles. It was 1984.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And because I am so, like, totally sure that some of you will want to see my whole dress, made by my mom, here it is, COMPLETE WITH A HAT.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

How times have changed. Could you even imagine a fourteen year old wearing a dress like this today? It always makes me laugh that I thought this was so grown up. I mean, I look like I am some turn of the century English girl, about to chase a hoop down the lane with a stick.

And lastly, the 80's movie that I have on VHS and plan to have for a long, long time. I don't even have the case anymore, so I took a picture off Amazon because that black VHS tape just don't do these people justice.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just loved Kim Richards when I was a kid, with that long hair. But this movie was a pretty far cry from Escape to Witch Mountain. It's totally bitchin'. If you haven't seen it, like, ever, go rent it.

17 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Effie said...

Love the dress....and the HAIR! Beautiful--a spiral perm maybe?!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Renee said...

I have never seen so many brunettes in one picture in my life!LOL

Love the pics...and in the 80's the hair could NEVER be big enough!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: Never borrow Amy's underwear, at least not without asking first.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

OMG that first pic is a hoot! I love how you're inspecting your mom's work...making sure your hair is getting BIG enough. Hahaha!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Your Mom had to do your hair 'cause your sister(s) would have twisted the curling iron in there and got it stuck (for the kick in the ass/wearing my underwear/tub incident).

Amy, you are hilarious AND beautiful!!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Effie- YES! Totally a spiral perm that cost me ninety bucks!

Renee - I KNOW. I am the only person in that picture who is NOT italian. What can I say? Catholic school.

Kalki- You could borrow my underwear, but if you wore a skirt they would fall down to your feet you little waif.

Cindy- What a brat, eh?

Mrtl- ahh, the bigger the better. We would go into the bathroom like every fifteen minutes and puff it up. And yeah, it is gross! Hence the kicking of the BUM.

Soozie- you may be right. And thanks!

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for the kick in the backside. Someone else's undies? Yuck! My sisters were all enough different in size that we didn't have a problem with borrowing. Now that we are in our 40s, weight has evened out.
Your dress made by your mom is very pretty. Much better than what girls wear these days. Even though it's summer, decent clothing is needed.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Awesome pics - loved the first one of your mom curling your hair.

Great submissions!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! I love the note!!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Kami said...

Oh yeah, I remember the white hose and the white shoes. Did we want to be nurses, or something? ;)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Zoe said...

ahh, memory lane... let's hope Kristine doesn't take us back again too soon

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Bente said...

All of this was too funny! Sounds like there would have been scary times growing up with you and your sisters. Yikes!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I LOVE the hair! You look so pretty!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Rozanne said...

Oh, excellent, excellent photos and commentary.

The note!!! Pure, distilled sibling rivalry. I'm glad you hung on to that.

My sister used to borrow my underwear, too. Boy, did that infuriate me.

You are so right about that prom dress. No way would a 14-year-old girl wear that today. Simpler, more innocent times, I guess. You look darn cute, though.

Love your blog!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Susie said...

You are beautiful! I WISH middle-schoolers dressed like that today! Oh, how I wish . . .

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger eyes_only4him said...

oh i am dieing over here...love the photos...lol

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

This '80s flashback is craclin' my shit up!
Luckily, Squirl and I are far enough apart in age that we didn't go through the clothes-borrowing angst. But I'm glad you did, because the thought of your kickin' your sister's ass into the tub will have me gigglin' all day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home