Monday, September 13, 2004

Lady Luck is sitting here with me instead of sleeping because she got ousted from our room (FINALLY) and transplanted to Sammy's room and she's pissed off about it.

So forgive me, might be a short blog. Haven't been on here much lately. I've been busy (like everyone else on the planet) and I am writing elsewhere, and (whoopee!) we are doing the bathroom!

I went to Home Depot tonight with Lucy and got all the stuff we need for the flooring guy to come tomorrow. It was quite the sight, me pushing one of those flatbed thingy's with four sheets of subfloor, a 12 foot roll of vinyl flooring hanging off the ends, and a toilet and a tank (which i put on the cart myself, thank you very much). And on one corner is Lucy in her carseat like a gorgeous little knick knack I picked up for the bathroom.

Daddy came and got us with the truck and the boys and Monty was totally stoked about being out at night with the LOTSA STARS up in the DARK!

That reminds me. I meant to blog about stars.

This little ditty is called Mommy.

While we were on vacation at the Delawana Inn, once the kids were hunkered down in our cabin for the night, I would pull on Jay's big hooded sweatshirt and step out for a moonlight walk to the main lodge. It had this huge room (you know the kind, thick wood beams, stone fireplace, old black and white pictures of Honey Harbour) where there was a coffee and tea station set up 24 hours a day.

What a nice walk it was! Gravel crunching under my feet, the smell of campfire, light from the buildings reflecting off the dark dark lake.

One beautiful cool night I was walking behind a little family. There was a dad, about fortyish, and three kids. They were talking about the dark and the frog that had gotten away from them that day, when the littlest one of the three kids pointed up to the sky and yelled, "Daddy look! Mommy's out!"

The dad was talking to the oldest kid and didn't respond. The little guy piped up again. "Daddy! Mommy's out!"

I wasn't sure what he meant. I looked up. There were a thousand stars up there.

Then I got it. I had a lump in my throat even before the dad said, "You're right, honey, there she is! She's the brightest star in the sky. She's looking down at all of us and she is so happy that we are having such a nice time down here!" He grabbed the little guy with one arm, and scruffed the older boy's hair with his other hand. His pony-tailed daughter leaned into him.

I walked along, tears in my eyes. I wanted to scoop up the lot of them in my arms and rock them to sleep. I wanted to run back to the cottage and kiss my own babies and my Jay and thank God I still get to be with them every single day and be there for all the ups and downs, all the crumbs and feasts, all the things that are part of this crazy life.

Instead I walked behind the family all the way to the lodge, silently sending them good wishes, and sympathy, and encouragement.

And thanks. For turning a pleasant evening walk to fetch a cup of tea into a moment I will never forget.

Lucy fell asleep. So. Sweet.

Night night.

2 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

awwwww

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Wow, that one WILL make you tear up, won't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home