Sunday, July 11, 2004

Okay i usually stay away from hot topics in my blog but this question is on my mind.

Big Hoopla about GW's banning gay marriage thing. Always sooo much talk and articles about this subject and after reading Brian's post........... I have to say that this is one of the topics that I don't understand why so much energy into it? I know, I know the whole threat to the family unit. But I am not convinced that gay marriage is the biggest threat to the institution of marriage OR the family unit.

I think that marriage as an institution would be better served by concentrating all that energy into keeping DIVORCE out of the picture. Seriously. Isn't that what threatens the well being of our kids? Isn't that what makes marriage less than what it should be? The fact that you can break up this 'sacred' union with a couple of lawyers and a bit of cash any time you want to? I would like to see it become really really hard for people to get divorced once they have kids. If they think they want a divorce they should have to sign up for a full years worth of marriage counseling first. And sit in on a couple of seminars where kids talk about how their parent's divorce has affected them. And then after all this, if they still think that they have to be divorced, so be it.

I don't know, man. It seems to me that there are so many things out there that need to be addressed, I am reading in the paper today about 'honour killings' in families, and missing kids, and drug use rates among kids whose homes are broken. And Karla Homolka getting out of jail next year. And the nine month sentence for the guardians of those poor boys who were tortured. And I am thinking, why on earth is same sex marriage among the big things on our agenda?

I guess it makes for good copy. But for my money, I think the definition of marriage is already a bloody mess.

Ciao.
A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home