Friday, January 27, 2006

7mm, Comfort Fit 10K

Last month I lost my wedding band. It has always been a little big on me and me being me I just never went and made it right for my finger. So for nine winters every time my hands got cold I would make fists to keep it on and it worked up till this winter. I was Christmas shopping, gloves on and gloves off, carrying bags, etc. And I went to the post office and took my gloves off and it was gone.

Served me right. Totally.

So I went to get a new one but my finger is size 5 and they didn't have any at the mall I was working at. So my MIL lent me her mothers wedding band that she got when she was 17 in 1939 and it fit but I couldnt live with myself if I lost it, and I am a, well, a loser. Of things.

So today I went to a jewelry store that was going out of business and got the wedding band I always wanted anyway, thick and solid and snuggly size 5. And I'm lovin it.

Image hosting by Photobucket

It's kinda neat that I got this now, because this month, nay, this week, marks the fact that Jay and I have been together for exactly half our lives. We met in our eighteenth year (1988) and eighteen years later is now. EIGHTEEN YEARS. Shaz-AM!

And it has been eighteen years of ups and downs and crazys and calms and a million other things. And as 'we' get older, well, I would have to say, it has become a sort of 'comfort fit'.
And it's good.
A.

17 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

That is just heart-warmingly written, Amy! Here's to waaaaaaaay more than half your lives together!!!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger c said...

I'm a size 5, too! Isn't it impossible to find rings in that size?!

Lovely story, lovely ring.

I'm going to get myself a new ring on our 15th anniversary. I'm just plain tired of the one I have now. I want one more like yours.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Bente said...

What a nice story and I love the ring. You also have very nice nails.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

You have very, very pretty hands! I would like to marry one of your hands-it doesn't matter which one, I'm not fussy-your husband can keep the other one.

Dr. H.O. Potamus - Ring sizer

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I love the ring. And I love the love story :)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger kalki said...

You have lovely hands.

Congratulations on half your lives! That is just beautiful.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always afraid of that with the cold weather here too...I keep thinking of maybe getting the band tattooed on my finger.

But then I remember I don't like needles.

Happy Half Life together!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

You got some SERIOUSLY small hands woman!

I'm a 6, but a 5 is so much smaller!!

*HUG*

Glad you like your new ring. It's very purdy!!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Beautiful! I love the plain band. they don't get caught or snag everything.

About 27 years ago I got my first part time job since kids were all in school.....across from where I worked, was a jewelry shop....so feeling like an independent woman (ha) I had my rings remounted...(It was beautiful) took the wedding band and engage. ring without stone and put in jewelry box.....about 10 years later, when the price of gold was up, my hubby said " what did you do with the rings?" Well the week before he ask, I cleaned out my jewelry box, and threw them out.... Why? I am still trying to figure that out...my hubby said, you never throw anything out, WHY would you throw out white gold....So don't feel bad, you lost yours honestly, I threw mine out...daaaa!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger LadyBug said...

mrtl done went and stole my comment. I was totally gonna say, "Beautiful ring. Beautiful story."

And girrrrl, you've got itty-bitty fingers!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Effie said...

Beautiful ring! So that means that from this point forward, you'll have been together longer than you were apart...kinda cool to think about, eh?!

My knuckles are huge (well big at least) and my fingers are slim so all my rings slide around on my fingers--so I don't wear my diamond very often--it keeps turning around and around. That must have felt awful to lose your ring--what a lovely replacement though.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Amy! What a great ring! I'm sorry that you lost your original one, but it's neat that this one sort of has a story behind it.

Hubby and I just celebrated the 19th anniversary of our first date. I was only 18 when I met him, and it IS pretty cool that I've been with him over half my life. :)

Congratulations, love!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Speckledpup said...

I love a plain band.

Great story to go along with.

I've been over half my life with the hubby..... here's to growing old together.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger lawbrat said...

That is so precious. I got me some tears now.

I'm not sure if its from the romance, or that i'll never see a size 5 ring; unless its on my pinky toe.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Cat said...

ShaZAM! Congrats on 18 years! Wow.

"...and I am a, well, a loser. Of things."

That one cracked me right up, woman. Love it...

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger harvestfound said...

wait a min.! 18 years! seems like yesterday that you were that saddle-shoe, kilt wearing, long haired quirky girl with the rocker boyfriend walking through jackson square after school...!
glad you now have a ring that fits aim...loved this post.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great story. I only take off my ring for yoga...because the instructor is a hottie...oh and because we have to stick our hands under our feet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home