Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Birthday Gigi

Do you know my sister Jen?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(1970. jen, 2 years 4 months, and amy, 6 days old)

If you know someone who makes you laugh within thirty seconds of a phone call, you do.
If you have someone in your life who listens to you carry on about any number of things with infinite patience, you do.
If you know a great, loving, excellent mom, you know my sister Jen in a way.
And if you have an older sister, close in age, who you would admire for every cool detail, from wit to great hair to the knick knacks on her dresser, you know her.
And you know Jen if you have someone who makes you feel better about things just by thinking about her.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(1975. amy, jennifer, siobbhan and charlie)

Today is her birthday. She is 38. But to me, she will always be 7 and telling me the ways of the world in the back of the station wagon. 10 and sitting against the back of her bedroom door with me. 11 and getting us all to pose on the front lawn while she pretended to take pictures with her Brownie camera. 14 and beautiful in her grade eight grad dress and Princess Di haircut. 18 and sad but so brave. 24 and in love with Terry. 27 and welcoming me home with her big smile. 30 and dancing with Kathleen. 33 and living in The Annex in Toronto and confident and showing me all she had discovered. Almost 35 and becoming Abby's mom. 37 and becoming Renee's mom too.....

Happy Happy Birthday to my sister, Jen. If you know someone like her, you are almost as lucky as me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A.

9 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger lawbrat said...

You are very lucky. This is a great birthday post.

Happy Birthday Jen!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Never That Easy said...

Happy Birthday Jen (who I don't know, but now feel like I do)!

What a great tribute to your sister, Amy.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

Hey I know that girl great post Amy brought little cousin tears to my eyes...and Happy Birthday Jenn..

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger harvestfound said...

Thank you aim. that was so beautiful - it has been a great birthday this year - your writing this making it even more sweet.
i love you.
jen

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Speckledpup said...

I've never had a sis.
I have five older brothers.
I just admire the relationship so much...
cool.

Happy Birthday Sis from one of the cyber buddies.
The Pup

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Leska McCall said...

You made me cry. I missed having a sister, much less one as wonderful as yours!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Effie said...

Such a wonderful birthday post for obviously a wonderful sister--Happy Birthday to Jen--a day late!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Cat said...

Aaaaaw (and I mean this...) SWEET! Seriously. That was such a great birthday post and I bet it means so much to your sister.

(My sister's name is Jen, too! And she is way cool! Just thought I'd share.)

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

That's just a beautiful tribute! I'm so jealous you even HAVE a sister, much less one like THAT!! Someday, when I have a sister, she'll be just like Jen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home