Monday, April 25, 2005

Oh Yes It's Ladies Night.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Went out on Friday with the gals. My dear friend Cari (on the left, that gorgeous thing,) is here from Arizona and we got out to the Staircase to see some comedy. BUT. The first part was a bit dorky. We met for a drink beforehand as there is this funky cafe in the same building as the theatre. (see where we are sitting it is like a little lounge in the corner with lamps and books and things, very je ne sais quasi modo) So we were pumped. BUT. There was also this chick singing in the cafe part, who was like debuting her album or something. So the seven of us hooked up and were all like woo hoo whatcha bin upto and yackety yackety please talk backety is that a new top yes! I got it off Winners clearance rack for like fifty cents oh it looks totally great on you well those glasses totally suit you! You know what I mean. And if you don't know what I mean then you are a guy who hasn't bin paying attention.

So we are having this grand ole time catching up and having a laugh. But the singer CD debut chick is belting out her Ani Defranco Bjork songs and GLANCING to the side (where we were sitting) and you know when there is a vibe that says SHUT UP? Well, we were feelin that vibe. She was trying to like, CONNECT with THE ROOM through her weird music.

I mean, we weren't screaming at the top of our lungs about feminine hygiene products or bargains at the mall. We were totally reasonably talking amongst ourselves. But I guess there was an artsy thing going on that we were just too UNCULTURED to get. With the chick on the keyboard singing over and over about I don't know what. I am sure it was great, and I could hear her playing the piano under it all and really, she was talented.

But I don't get that kind of music. Like, where's the chorus. Where is the part that makes me feel like I know ya. Like I am part of the universe just like you. I kept thinking, if she would just break into some familiar song how great would that be, it would make all these minor chords and repeated phrases worth the wait. But no. It was not to be. We were just a group of seven ladies tryin to have a bit of catching up, disturbing the discordance that is high art.

So. We did our best to be quiet. We really did. Look at the picture. I am actually miming to someone how to talk behind your hands. Poor sweet Kelly beside me is trying not to laugh at someone's whispered anecdote.

Then after this exhausting but kind of funny exercise we went in to see the comedy show. Which was interesting.

The headliner was great. Shelley Marshall you are just a riot and I would go to see you again absolutely. But the opening acts were mostly amateurs and so reminded me of those first few months doing stand up and the audience just being very very quiet after a joke. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. a little uncomfortable if you have ever been there.

But still interesting. Stand up is the hardest thing ever and good for them for getting up there in front of a huge crowd of oh sixteen or so people and doing their stuff and facing the silence. There were a few decent ones in there who were quite funny. So we did have some fun, definitely. It'sa good to get out with the girls, always.

And then the rest of the weekend went whoosh. I went to a baby shower for my friend Cari's sister Kimmy's new first baby Joshua who tipped the scales at birth at eleven (sorry, ELEVEN!) pounds three ounces(!). He is a lovely blond baby and Kimmy did great and looks unnervingly good. The shower was great. Whew there was a ton of ladies Mon Dieu. Had to go hang out in the hall once in a while, hard to breathe with all that estrogen in one room.

I brought my little Lady herself, Lucy, who did quite well until she found out that she wasn't allowed to hang out in the bathroom for an hour. Seriously, she fell in love with that bathroom. I don't blame her really. She is a bonafide redhead and the bathroom was green so she looked totally great in it. But you know, 35 ladies and one downstairs bathroom. If she just woulda stood still she could have pretended to be a toilet paper holder in the shape of a cute kid, or if I could have got her to turn her face to the wall she could have passed for one of those weird cry-baby dolls and stayed there as long as she wanted.

But she wanted to party in there, knock stuff over and pull on the shower curtain and generally wreak havoc so I had to take her out a few (seventeen) times and then she was tired and crying and it was time to go coconut joe.

And today was mostly a blur. A good blur, but a blur nonetheless.

Well! I am done! Thank you to the academy and those who actually got to the end of this post, it has been a long haul but not really worth it I am sure. I am off to read my ROOTS. Have I told you it's very very good? It is.

Night Night.

A.

(If anyone watches 24, (Brian) I was SO GLAD that Chloe shot those guys! i totally thought she was going to bite it.)

4 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger lawbrat said...

Sounds like a fun time. 7 women together, always fun! Im way to uncultured to get that too, your not the only one.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear the Staircase is a hit. I've been meaning to check it out - it'll happen even if it means doin' some stand up myself with 3 kids in tow!
Ang

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear the Staircase is a hit. I've been meaning to check it out - it'll happen even if it means doin' some stand up myself with 3 kids in tow!
Ang

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend! That's a pretty big meatball (11.3???) egads!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home