Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Lucy's Song
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child, but she's always a woman to me


Yeah I know it's a little advanced for a 21 month old, but she is my lady and I am her mom. I used to play this song for us when she was brand new, on the computer in my room, and I would perch her over my shoulder like a six pound bag of beans and dance with her. And Billy Joel would sing to us. It was good.

When Monty was a baby
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I sang "Iris" by the Goo Goos to him all the time. It was very romantic. Maybe that's why he is such a flirt.

When Sam was born I sang "No Woman No Cry" except I sang "No Sammy No Cry" to him.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sam's birth was hell on wheels, and I think the words, "Everythings gonna be alright, now" were more to myself than to him.

When I was eleven the theme from "Chariots of Fire" was in my head all the time. I still can't think of my grade six teacher Mrs. Ferrante without that song moving in on the thought.

The theme song for me meeting Jay at 17 is, hands down, "Wait" by White Lion. Great song.

And when we broke up for a while a few years later it was just in time for "I Remember You" by Skid Row. Oh the tears I shed in my hostess uniform in the bathroom of the Golden Griddle that summer. That song is still like an arrow to my heart. I love it, though.

I love the lyrics and phrasing to "The Boxer" by S&G. I love Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor. I love "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" By Journey, and when I play it in the car I am a karaoke star and everyone in the crowd is amazed at my ability to be Steve Perry.

K.D. Lang's version of "Bird on a Wire" makes me cry. "Be Thou My Vision" when Van Morrison does it, it gives me shivers. I also love the Communards, although I haven't listened to them for years.

I could go on for weeks. Let me just say that some songs are like a wave that knocks you back. Others start as a lump in your throat, that gets bigger and bigger until it forces itself out through the tears in your eyes. Some songs are TENS machines, from the first beat you can feel the electromagneticness coursing through your veins. And some are so gentle as to be like sitting beside your best friend, not even talking, just knowing you could say anything you wanted and they would not move from beside you.

And all songs are memories. From bad perms to big stupid fights to your lips pressing down on the firm fuzziness of your new baby's head.

Toodles,
A.

9 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

"Oh the tears I shed in my hostess uniform in the bathroom of the Golden Griddle that summer."

quite familiar with these odd kinds of moments a girl can experience in life (particularly when 'single')....

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Christy said...

When I can't find the perfect song for my kids, I make one up. Their favorite:

Oh I have two kids and I think they're sweet, and I would go and smell their feet. And I would say Peeewwweee! But I would love them anyway!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute pic of lucy! music - quite the medium! i think i could tell my life's story through music. that would be fun to try!
ang

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Bente said...

I also love Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor. I walked down the aisle to it, and the first time Elli was so hysterical, and I couldn't calm her I turned the lights off and rocked her in the chair to it and she finally calmed down. It was a really nice moment.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Oh Annejelynn, that would be a great post...Top Ten places one has cried over a guy...

Christy-gotta love the songs that make them laugh, eh.

Yeah, Ang, it would be great to start a 'song journal' and whenever you remember a song that meant something, you put it in there!

Bente, I love those moments, that peace after hysteria...it's what keeps us keeping on, I think.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are adorable! What a great post this is. When my oldest was a baby, HIS favorite song was 'video killed the radio star'. Everytime it was on, he would just start bouncing and laughing. Other than that, he cried.

lawbrat

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember turning some Nirvana song into a lullaby when my daughter was an infant. I was exhausted and it seemed appropriate at the time. Nice post ... and so true.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the lovely comment on my site. The song that I used for the background music was ME!!! You can hear the whole song here:
http://www.denibonet.com/blog/?p=43

You've got a really lovely blog and I'll be back soon to catch up! Come back soon.
Deni

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant comment on the tulip picture, so I thought I'd try here...hope thats ok.

Those are beautiful, and bring life to the bathroom! Very nice touch.

lawbrat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home