Thursday, May 25, 2006

Don't Hate The Gate

Last summer, the wooden gate that Jay built when he and our old Italian neighbor Tony replaced the fence between our houses together was ripped off it's hinges, never to be replaced again.

It was too heavy anyway. So I was promised a new gate. A nice, simple, elegant black metal gate that could be made at Jay's shop and welded by a different Tony, who is a kick ass welder.

Fast forward to this spring. I was pretty patient, for me. But around April I started gently reminding the husband that we NEED that gate. That I can't let the kids out in the backyard without being there every second because they can escape.

Fast forward a month or so, with breaks for slightly more urgent reminders.

Then, two weeks ago, I got word that the materials had been ordered! Woo hoo! I would be able to let Lucy play outside without having to set up a sentry post of me on a lawn chair at the side of the house, so she couldn't get out. Now, Monty can get out if he wants to. Even with the old gate, if he wanted out, he would just find something to stand on, hoist himself up onto the brick wall that encloses part of our yard, and like a skilled and handsome jewel theif, scale his way back down the other side of the wall. BUT. This takes time. Much easier to go to where the gate WAS and just run out of the yard and find somewhere to hide easy peasy.

So. Two days ago, Jay came home with my beautiful gate laid gently down in the back of the truck on cardboard, gleaming with a fresh coat of black paint. I almost died.

He didn't even come in for dinner. Just got right started on putting that gate up. What a hunk.

I went outside after a half hour to see the gate.

As I was walking toward it, my heart did a little jumpy jump. Happy wife! Then I got closer.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Can you see what I saw?
No?
Does this help?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My gate. That is supposed to keep them IN, is just a fancy EXIT.
Argh.
A.

18 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gate looks lovely! I see there may be an issue...have you considered temporary chain link woven between the divisions until the kids can't fit through the bars?
Sitting in the sun, making sure the kids don't escape...not such a bad way to spend your summer! Sure beats housework!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Me said...

ROTFL... I scrolled slowly down, and the second I saw the photo I grinned even before I went to the next one. Yep, I'm a Mom of three alright. Instantly saw the problem.

Now... what did hubby say about this little faux paux? LOL.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Sharkey said...

Oh no! Your beautiful gate! Can kick-ass Tony weld another bar between each of the existing bars?

Another (less beautiful) option . . . around here we can only have split-rail fence, and as you can imagine, it's not so good at keeping the dogs in. So basically we have to put up two fences--one for looks and one for containment. People usually attach garden-type fencing to their split rails.

Hope you get it figured out!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no! Ok... well, how about this?

"It's the thought that counts."

I recommend chicken wire. Not very pretty, but effective. :)

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

OMG! NOOOOO! I feel guilty about laughing at your misfortune, but it's just.so.darn.FUNNY!

I think it would be cute to attach some netting to it a la pirate ship, you know for the time being. Because a temporary gate fix is a lot cuter than a kid getting hit by a car.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger LadyBug said...

Perhaps a few strands of barbed wire will help? ;)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Speckledpup said...

okay the gate, she is purty.

the kid, okay, he is purty too.

Now here's the thing. With the hotdogs on his head playing Big Momma, he probably can't fit through the gate.
Also, feed him more, that'll take care of it.
Or you could electrify the fence and gate... no, I'm kiddin' really....

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

OH NO!!!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger c said...

ARGH!

It sure is a pretty gate, though. I like the barbed wire solution. Do you think Child Services would have a problem with it?

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Naomi said...

Wow...just too cute. (Sorry, I know, it's not really cute, it's annoying, and you waited so nicely!!)

I'm all for the piratey idea- sounds like fun! Other than that...umm... what to do?! My fence here is all wood, so I'm really no help. I'm not a welder either.

oh! you know those spirally metal pieces- you could get them put in - spiral up and down to meet in the middle of each of those lovely large gaps. (Guess this would make a lovely addition to your comedy routine though!)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Tonya said...

aww nice gate.. there must be a way to fix it..lol

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger lawbrat said...

Oh Amy, that it just cracking me up! It is a beautiful exit. Maybe they can weld some bars inbetween the exiting bars? :-)

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Cat said...

D'oh! Hee. That is hilarious! Not that you think it is, I'm sure, but I'm just giggling over here...

I have the BEST idea. There are several varieties of electric fences to keep your dogs in the yard, see, and there is a remote that comes with them, too, that activates the collar, you know, for on-the-spot obedience training? A remote! Genius. So just bury a wire and slap one of those bad-boys on each of your kids and you are good to go.

Oh, you don't need to thank me. It was my pleasure.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger kalki said...

I totally thought what LadyBug thought. Can you tell I'm used to dealing with cows?

Lordy this is funny. I'm really sorry about it, I am, but sooo funny.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

Nuts! Feed 'im ice cream all summer and put a leash on 'im till then.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Leska McCall said...

Knew immediately! I hope you can alter w/o much trouble.

When we first "child-proofed" the house, the hubs put all the gates on the stairs just an inch or so too high...yep, they can just scoot under....except the one with the ginormous head. Him? He gets STUCK every time!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, electrify the gate! That's the ticket!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

lol - I saw it right away - too much space - will allow what I call a "squeeze away"

tisk, tisk

now what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home