Friday, April 22, 2005

Bulk Pick Up Day

People are fascinating when it comes to Bulk Pick up Day. That is the day when the city's garbage collection system picks up more than just average garbage. You can put out almost anything and they will take it. From furniture to old carpet (cut in 4 foot pieces) to harvest gold toilets from when you redid your bathroom to broken baby items such as high chairs.

The most interesting part of BPUD is the people who drive around with vans or in cars pulling open flat-bed trailers and take other people's put out junk home. I love it. How great that the city doesn't have to worry about half this stuff, that during the night people go around like scavenger fairies and take it away.

Now. All that said. There are some 'fairies' that are more like, um, 'trolls'.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is my neighbor from around the corner. I don't know her name, but it has to be Griselda or Helga or Olaf, maybe. She has been walking aroung the neighborhood all day collecting stuff from peoples bulk pick up piles. Not good stuff, either. The flat-bed trailer people took all the good stuff last night.

She was upright for the first hour, carrying one thing at a time back to her house. Then she had an idea to get her blue box out and fill it up and push it back home. Here is a close up.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You can't really see what is in there, but it is an old computer screen and a broken window pull shade. My neighbor Bruno had the shade in his pile yesterday. The computer screen is from about six houses down. Now, I am just guessing, but this lady doesn't look like she is into computers per se. So you gotta wonder what she is pushing this home for. It must have some purpose. Otherwise why would you walk bent over for a block in your housedress for it. I was out waving good bye to Sam this morning when she passed me. I said, "Hi! Do you want some help?"

She scowled at me and waved the air in front of her face, like she always does. Probably thinks I want in on the goods. Last year we had a garage sale and she tried to buy a perfectly good Little Tykes wagon off me that I had a bargain price of five bucks on, for fifty cents. "Please." She said, "Please for me, fifty cents."

I sold it to her for a buck. She handed me that loonie and never talked to me again.

Oh well, you can't be friends with everybody, cans ya?

Bulk Pick Up Day. Fun for stay home mom's and weird old European neighbors alike.

A.

5 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny is that! Would someone please get the lady a shopping cart?

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I know! I got the idea to take her picture from Mrs. Strizzray's blog. She has these hilarious pictures of her neighbor guy on there.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with mrtl. She needs a cart. I saw something on one of those news tv programs...60 minutes or something like that. There are people that have a mental disorder that makes them have 'stuff'. No rhyme, no reason, just stuff. They showed their houses, and there was junk stuff anywhere, and they went out to get more. They wouldnt throw any away. It was quite odd. Reminded me of my mom. Maybe one day, she'll be hunched over her blue box with her housedress on. :-)
Naaa, I'll get her a cart.

lawbrat

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Random and Odd said...

OMG! THAT IS HYSTERICAL!

I have crazy neighbors, but there is nothing to take pictures of except for them calling the cops when the hedge gets too high.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Annejelynn said...

we have something very similar here, but we call it "dumpster divin'" - with all the crazy growth and development going on in Vegas, many of the older homes renovate (or get demolished) and the builders rent those rather HUGE, ENORMOUS commercial construction dumpsters; the big orange ones the size of a semi trailer? seen them? it's not at all uncommon to witness hordes of people drive up to these things, ladders in tow for ample dumpster access...and they load up their trucks.

Must admit - I got an AWESOME set of 4 perfectly decent flower pots from dumpster diving...my, ah, resourceful contractor-boyfriend at the time had done some peeking about and brought them home to me...SO I WENT BACK WITH HIM!!! we got a frame and axles for a dune buggy, which he later completed with tires, a small lawnmower engine, gears, etc. - the works (not that the 'lawnmower' engine sounds that impressive, but the baby drove up to 45 mph)- and my dumpster diving days returned only yesterday...a PERFECTLY GOOD charcoal BBQ was left by my apt. dumpster. Looked like it'd been used twice! NO RUST! PERFECT! and so I snagged it and stashed on the patio for my NOW boyfriend to find later...he's not yet used to my, um, dumpster divin' ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home